Friday, July 3, 2009

CSA week 4

I'm falling behind! Thankfully it's mostly on the posting end, not on the eating end. We received our week 4 share June 25th, but I still wanted to let you know what we got:

  • 3 quarts strawberries
  • 2 lettuces (butter lettuce is my fave)
  • 1 bunch of radishes
  • 2 pounds of peas (english peas, thank goodness for tv when shelling these)
  • 1 bunch of arugula
  • 1/2 lb spinach (this was a swap for the bok choy)
At the end of the week the only thing we had left was about half of the arugula, still looking good. The week was a roller coaster week when it came to food. Sunday I made my hubby love me forever when I bought some rhubarb and made my first ever rhubarb strawberry pie (yes, emphasis on the rhubarb, as in 3 cups rhubarb and 2 cups strawberries), and I also created a lattice crust (thank you Pillsbury). The edge of the crust was overbrowned by a few minutes, but I was very proud of my first pie with a top crust, ever.
The low point came when I was eating a sandwich at work, and I had a "friend" join me. I made a turkey sandwich with buffalo wing cheese and butter lettuce (rinsed off under the tap). Halfway through eating the sandwich, a small worm, about 1 cm in length crawled directly on the teeth marks I left less than ten seconds ago. That was the end of THAT sandwich. I visually inspected the worm, and thankfully he was all there, meaning that reverse peristalsis would not be necessary. I called the hubby as I had made him a sandwich the night before as well, and he was already 2 bites into the sandwich and was willing to take the chance. He called it a bonus. My tech called it protein. I called it disgusting.

I thought about giving up the whole organic thing, but then realized there's probably worse stuff in all the processed food I eat. I just can't see it. From now on, every green will be triple washed AND visually inspected.

No comments: