Thursday, July 23, 2009

CSA week 7

Aargh! It's thursday already and I never posted last week's bounty! So here we go:

  • 1 bunch of beets
  • 1 bunch japanese turnips
  • 1 bunch collard greens
  • 1 bunch scallions
  • 1/2 lb green beans
  • 3/4 lb mixed salad greens
  • 2 and 1/2 lbs cherries
  • 1 container black raspberries
This whole healthy bounty is really having a positive effect on the way my hubby and I eat. We've been eating more fresh produce with every meal, simply because I would feel bad letting it rot and tossing it. It's a bit of a chore, but my body is feeling the difference. The other night at work I had chicken fingers for dinner. Deep fried, crispy goodness slathered with blue cheese dressing. They were delicious. An hour later, my stomach felt like crap. It felt so heavy; my body was saying "what is this foreign fried substance?" It was easy for my stomach to adjust to eating healthier foods, now I have to train my mind to ignore the scents that spur salivation (Homer Simpson style). I have grown up loving crappy, deep fried foods. I will never own a deep fryer for health reasons, but I feel like I could never give them up entirely. Maybe if I feel like crap enough times my mind will learn not to crave it.

-Healthy snack of the day- steamed green beans dipped in ketchup. They're not fries, but they were tasty and my body said thank you.

No comments: