Thursday, July 16, 2009

C25K

I started a new workout this morning- C25K, also known as couch to 5k. I've got the couch part down. It's an interval program where you gradually increase the running time (distance) while decreasing the walking time. Week one involves running for 60 seconds, walking for 90 seconds and repeating for 20 minutes, plus 5 minutes each warmup and cooldown walk.

I could never run. I was always jealous of people who could run and burn calories so efficiently. I would try and run, yet I could never make it past 5 minutes without complaining about something, usually abdominal cramps, my shins hurting, my inner thighs rubbing against eachother (if you're flabby like me you'll know what I'm talking about), always something. Reflecting on this morning, out of the 20 minutes, I was able to run for a total of 8 minutes. Of course I wanted to stop and walk at a comfortable pace. But how could I argue with myself when I kept saying "only one minute"?
According to the site if I follow the plan I can could be able to run 5k in 2 months, but they do allow you to repeat weeks if you're not quite ready yet. Wish me luck!

No comments: