Saturday, July 4, 2009

CSA week 5

I'm suprised that my skin is not turning green with all the greens we have been eating lately, not that it ever turned the color of processed foods during the last few months. I do feel better about what I am eating, even though i can justify eating more bacon when served with the greens (bacon, arugula and tomato sandwich anyone?)

So here's what we got this week:
  • 1 lb apricots
  • 1 lb cherries
  • 1 bunch japanese turnips
  • 1 bunch mizuna
  • 1 bunch napa cabbage
  • 1 bunch swiss chard
  • 2 romaine lettuces
  • 1 bunch cilantro
  • bonus- garlic scapes
I love how we are getting things I have never heard of before. Like Mizuna- yeah, it's one of those greens you'll find in mesculin mix

I also made vientamese spring rolls for lunch today- they were yummy, and I felt good eating something so healthy, so here's what went into them:

Vientamese spring rolls
-rice paper wrappers
-rice noodles, softened
-julienned cucumber
-scallions
-bean sprouts
-shrimp, sliced in half
-thai basil (from the 2nd plant; I killed the first one)

Dipping sauce:
-hoisin sauce
-minced ginger
-rice wine vinegar
-sriracha sauce
-light shake of sesame oil

These really should be eaten within an hour or so of preparing, which I had no problem with. I will definitely make these again.

No comments: